get your boat licence
Call now to book your place
all ages boat licence tuition

Learner's Guide FAQ

Do I have to study before the safe boating Course?

It is not a requirement to study before the course. Sea School provides a comprehensive face to face, step by step, presentation for all their boat licence and PWC licence courses.

What boat and PWC licence books do you recommended reading?

Roads and Maritime Services provides a Boating handbook to operate a vessel for recreational purposes on NSW waters which is a Learner's guide which includes a list of study questions known as the 'Boating Knowledge Quiz'. To learn about PWC / jet ski operations, we recommend the Roads and Maritime Services Personal Watercraft Handbook.

What interactive learning can I do before the course?

Every year there are many preventable accidents and incidents which occur on our waterways. Many incidents occur simply because of a lack of understanding of basic marine navigation techniques. This navigation training tool is designed to reinforce the boating knowledge that you already have and hopefully prevent future incidents from occurring.

Why do we need training before getting a Boat licence?

Roads and Maritime Services requires applicants to complete three training steps in order to receive their boat licence:

  • Safe boating course
  • Boat & jet ski knowledge tests
  • Practical boating


  • Time spent on the water will develop skills, knowledge and confidence when operating a vessel and help prevent accidents on the waterways.
  • Boating offers fun, excitement, relaxation and social activity away from our busy lifestyle. Its popularity means more people with more boats, which suggest more dangers, like collision and swamping.
  • Most people want to find out how to respond in an emergency. They want to protect the family, friends and assets. They choose a registered training organisation to quickly learn the rules, how to drive the boat and dock, and achieve their licence without any fuss.

I have a learning disability/dyslexia; can I still do the course?

You must be able to communicate orally and in writing in English. If you have difficulties in this regard we recommend that you contact 'Interpreter Services' at Roads and Maritime Services (phone 13 22 13) or visit your local Roads and Maritime Services office who will arrange an appointment with an interpreter.

Make an Enquiry

We're sorry but due to a large number of spam submissions, our online enquiry form is not available to your location.

Please use the information on our contact page to phone or email us directly.

Just wanted to thank you and your staff at Sea School. I have over 20 years experience in the teaching profession and work closely with Macquarie Uni & UTS and I can certainly say that your methods of teaching were spot on.

Craig Mitchell, Managing Director, Sydney Harbour Bookings

Gift vouchers

available for

recreational boat & jet ski
licence courses